Problem: There is only only one slot left in my list of Top 10 Emerging Influential Blogs of 2009. Even bigger problem: I have two great blogs and both have set up a virtual camp in my mind for over a month now.
Which one shall I choose?
Two choices for my conflicted heart:
- Barrio Siete - this is a collective blog presided over by Reyna Elena. Barrio Siete boasts of superb writers in Bluepanjeet, Silver, Ajay, and Buraot. I can’t think of BS without the image of Reynz pissing in the narrow streets of Barrio Siete while exhorting everyone – writers, visitors, readers to be just themselves in his Barrio. No pretentious language – in Barrio Siete they don’t suffer fools gladly.
- Patay Gutom – this is a food blog headed by Jehzeel Laurente and his friends which he calls respondents. It’s a fantastic food blog with a to-die-for tag line: “Ang Blog ng mga Patay Gutom. In English, Did You Know?” PG’s contributors are well known bloggers in Pinoy Blogosphere, but I feel close only to a couple of them: Jaypee Habaradas and Ada.
Only a hairline separates these two blogs. It’s that close a call.
Other worthy influential blog contenders
Let me mention here other blogs which have captured my imagination and affection. Here they are with their unique selling proposition. Take note that I can pick any of them and still be proud of my choice:
- Bahay ni Badong by Badongskie for creativity and humor
- Command Your Time by Dan Miranda. Blogging prodigy
- Desert Fishing by dFish. Reflective writing
- His Name is Dencios by Dencios. Engaging writer
- I Am Nobe by Nobe. Engaging writer and humorist
- It’s All a Matter of Perspective by Holly. Uninhibited wit
- Social Media Philippines by Rob Angeles. Engaging writer and conversationalist.
Silver of Dare to Speak Out has a great yardstick in coming up with her own top 10 list of influential blogs. She says friendship does not influence her choices. By this she means she only thinks of quality or merit as her criterion. And I felt relieved with that statement.
Friendship – the ties that bind
But that was then. Today, I’ve got to weigh in in favor of friendship. I’m not saying my choice has no merit. It’s an excellent blog. I’m proud of it. I’m just saying that with all things almost equal, I’ve got to bring in the big guns to break the tie: the issue of friendship.
Maybe I’m just a humble coffee drinker. When I have no money, I’m not above using roasted rice so I can drink coffee. Doesn’t this qualify me to be a Patay Gutom respondent? Just saying, but does it mean less cookie point for Jehz?
I am not a credentialed writer. I have not graduated from college. Why? But that’s an altogether different story. Now, even before Barrio Siete came to be, Reynz had invited me to write for his collective blog. He asked me to be his Barrio Councilor. That’s a great honor for me. One more cookie point for Barrio Siete?
What now? Which way do I jump now, guys?
Patay Gutom gets my vote
I have known Jehz since my blog reading days. His blog is the culprit why I’m blogging now. He’s inspired me to blog. He’s my blogging idol and friend.
Let me qualify that: I have appropriated Jehz as a friend. I have not met him in person. I have only known him through his blogs. Why I feel he is a friend I ascribe to the magical friendship online interactions fosters.
Janet has her cut off date for her writing project. I have mine: my admiration and respect for Jehz predates every online friendships I’ve made in my six months of blogging.
Of course, this trivia has a weight too in my decision: contrary to expectations, Jehz has ignored an internet marketer who had a nasty run-in with a lot of blog writers because of this snake oil salesman’s contempt of Patay Gutom bloggers. That counts for something. Yeeha.
Here’s an updated post on my final list of top 10 influential blogs.
Contest winner – Ada of Adaphobic
Cute blogger Ada has just won P300 worth of airtime load for guessing my 10th nominee for the Top 10 Influential Blogs of 2009. Nobody has provided the pitch I’m looking for why I chose Patay Gutom. This means P500 worth of airtime load will be given to the top commentator of June. He or she has a choice as top commentator: the airtime load or One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If he/she chooses the airtime load, the book goes to the reader that placed second in the top commentator count. The 3rd placer gets P300 worth of airtime load – Smartload or Globe Automaxx.
Top commentator contest is temporarily suspended starting July. Your friend here will be saving up for the upkeep of this blog: bloghosting fees for next year and renewal of domain name. And, of course, for the purchase of coffee to keep me going.
Jehz, you owe me a plate of Talangkanin, buddy. Never mind, I feel a heavy load has been lifted off me. Guess I can sleep better now. Yes!If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!